Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

aglb

10 months out - here's whats happening!

Rate this Entry
10 months out - surgery November 4, 13. First I have lost just a 6 pounds shy of 100 pounds since the beginning of this journey when I first went to the dietitian 2 + years ago - I am down 70 pounds from surgery 10 months ago. I feel awesome. I love how I look and can wear about anything I want. I was wearing a tight 16/18 at the beginning of this journey and am now comfortably in an 8 and just ordered some size 6 jeans & shorts. Best decision I ever, ever made for myself. ever. If you are on the fence - do it if you can. I have struggled with my weight my entire life - yet when I started this journey i doubted whether I was "big" enough for this surgery - I was., the doctor told me he wished more would do it sooner rather than later before more health issues began to surface. I have been a slow loser from day one & I lost a majority of my post surgical weight in the 1st 6 months, but the scale drops a pound here & there and I am happy with where I am even if I never lost another pound. I am still about 9 pounds from my goal but will be happy to get there by the year anniversary. Wish I could say I worked my butt off exercising but that would be a lie. I walk the dogs, I climb on the treadmill now & again, but nothing like many of you do. I eat sensibly - protein first always, then whatever. I have given up pop, daily sweets etc. If someone has a birthday I have a pc of cake but that is it. I am content. Happy. Yet always petrified of gaining it back. I am going on a all inclusive trip to mexico with three of my skinny friends (I have always been the chubby one) - and although I have sags, I am thrilled & not at all concerned this time about laying on a beach chair next to them. One day at a time. I thank GOD for the friend that encouraged me, told me I wasn't too small at the beginning (even though I was unable to see how really overweight I was), and grateful for the insurance that paid for this surgery - I lost that insurance due to my husband losing his job just 5 months after my surgery. I love my new body - even with it's many imperfections and I feel like I am 10 years younger. There isn't a day that goes by that someone doesn't tell me they hardly recognize me - I pick & choose who I confide in depending on if they are friends or just nosy! I always tell people, even if I don't confide that it was gastric surgery, I always say it was a 2 year journey with lots of help from my doctor & GOD. Most people don't press beyond that. I love to find out how others who had surgery around the same time frame as I did are doing so thought I would write. I rarely come on the boards anymore - though I was obsessive for the first 6 months on here - my doctor tells me that this is my life now - not a diet and not a phase - thanks to everyone who are on these forums & blogs. This support and the ability to ask questions helped me through those really tough months following my surgery. I will be forever grateful. I check back from time to time and smile when I see some of the initial panic from those that have just had surgery and are worried they haven't lost much weight. It doesn't happen overnight - there is no magic here but it does happen for most of us if we follow our doctor's orders. My heart goes out to those that haven't lost with this surgery. Those that had complications. We all went into this doubting that this would work. Prayers for those having a hard time - keep coming back for support. Those on this forum are such a valuable resource for support.

Submit "10 months out - here's whats happening!" to Digg Submit "10 months out - here's whats happening!" to del.icio.us Submit "10 months out - here's whats happening!" to StumbleUpon Submit "10 months out - here's whats happening!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice to hear from you. What an awesome story. A lot of it strikes home for me. I'm so glad you are happy with your outcome so far....make that two of us. Have a great vacation!
    Congratulations! I'm at 9 months and I am so happy with the way I look and feel. I have stalled out a lot now but I figured that would happen and I know it will slowly keep coming off. I'm so glad I did it. I was self-pay because my insurance wouldn't cover it. Best money I ever spent! Keep up the good work and good luck on your journey!
    my surgery was also Nov 4th and I've lost 85 pounds including the 23 I lost before the surgery. I am happy I lost that but wish it didn't stop there. I guess I'm gonna have to add in more exercise to get it to move more and add more water and vegies. I started at 377 so am not down to a normal size yet, wish I would have been able to do this when I was alot smaller. So I'm only down a couple sizes but it is progress. I get depression and disappointed it didn't let me lose more, so I have my difficult times. I know if I work harder at it I will get more results, have to push myself while I still have a smaller stomach. Glad to hear from someone in the same time period to compare results. If I eat bad and gain a few pounds I just go back to eating better and lose it quick so I don't let it get to be more. The sleeve seems to help with that. You do have to watch those bad habits, they can get back into your life again. Good luck with yours, thank you for sharing.
    Thanks for the encouraging posts. I can't even imagine being a size 8. It will be so wonderful to not hurt all the time and have energy.
    you are awesome!!!
    I had my sleeve surgery on November 4/13 as well. At 10 months I've gone from weighing 261 last November to 165 lbs now ... that's a 96 lb. weight loss. I feel liberated and am happy with these results. My goal is to get down to 150 but my weight-loss has tapered off. I guess I will have to add more exercise to the mix to get there. I definitely eat more than I did in the first 6 months but the sleeve helps me with portion control and as long as I don't get into grazing (as in eating too often) my weight continues to go down, although very, very slowly now.

I have gone from wearing stretchy size 22 - 24 pants to fitting into size 10 jeans and pants. I feel so much more energetic and deal with less daily pain (I have arthritis and have had knee replacement and other surgeries related to this). Even though my weight loss has slowed down I continue to lose inches as my body tightens up. I will always have some sagging and shrinkles on my thighs(as I call them, lol) but I have just turned 62 and some of that was to be expected.

I never thought that I would or could lose weight and keep it off. The desperation I used to feel about my weight and health is gone. I am convinced that the sleeve has literally added years to my life expectancy and I will certainly be living more comfortably than before.
    Great to hear from others in the same range date wise. I feel like this has added years to my life as well. One of my friends posted on my birthday picture on facebook that I may be a year older but I look years younger. I feel like I am seeing lots more wrinkles. I honestly can't remember EVER being in a size 8 pant before & I just ordered a 6 because the 8's are getting a bit baggy. Still nervous about getting rid of the 14s. I have long since donated the 16 & 18s but the 14s are tougher for me to get rid of for some reason. I like to eat something every 2-3 hours too but try to make sure they are protein and all fits in the total calories/protein range that I want to stay in. As others say, portion control not an issue, just not sliding back into old habits & choosing the wrong foods. So far cravings have been minimal and when I am hungry I often think - what the heck, since it only takes a few bites to correct the hunger, may as well choose something nutritionally good as empty so that has kept me on track so far. No doubt could have lost faster had I really exercised all along but my dietitian told me early on that you are better to incorporate sustainable regular exercise than to try to exercise temporarily like crazy with so much exercise that you can't keep it up for life. (something about your body getting used to it?) Not sure if that is true but me not having time to spend hours on exercise - it has worked ok for me.)