Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Jeremy

Through hell and back

Rate this Entry
So I had me surgery at 4pm on Tuesday oct 8th and after the surgery I was fine. A little pain from gas and some chest pain from gas, but the surgeon said everything went fine and I though I was on my way. Well at about 2am that night I started having some more pain and the nurse told me to push the pain medicine button so I did. Weather the pain medicine was related or not I started feeling nauseous so they gave me IV nofran.

About an hour later I started sweating like crazy and my blood pressure dropped to 65/56 and my hear rate was in the 150s so they put me on IV fluids to get my blood pressure up.

The next morning after two full bags of IV fluid I was supposed to go get the leak test X-ray but when I sat up I nearly passed out so they postponed it. Now because I couldn't get up they decided to put catheder in me and that of course sucked.

After a few hours I stared having a hard time berthing and eventually could breath deeply enough to just catch my breat so they called a code rescue and about 20 doctors and nurses rushed in with machines and crash carts. I thought I was dying and they poked me with tones of needle and took enough blood to drain me, one of which was an artery blood draw and that hurt like I've never felt before. So after a few moble chest X-rays and more doctors they ruled out bloot clots and pneumonia but decided to transfer me to the ICU.

Now here's where the fun started. I was already a little nauseous and the guy pushing my bed to the ICU decided he would hit every wall and every corner he could and the trip was bumpy enough to make Neil Armstrong sick, so once I got to the ICU I started throwing up, but all I've had up to thus point was ice chips so I was just dry heaving very hard. That lasted about ten horrible hours and nothing they game me could stop it. They tried IV meds, direct shots into my arm, finall the only thing that game a little relief to take a breath was the under the toungue dissolvable ondansatron I was prescribed for when I got home.

So I passed out and woke up a few hours later feeling less nauseous so they took me down to get the X-ray leak test to make sure there is no leak. I drank the horrible liquid, kept it down, and no leak! So now I can breath fine, I'm not nauseous and after they took the catheter out I could urinate. So we waited for a few long hours and finally got the discharge papers! Now I am at home day one, I still have a heart rate of about 125 when I walk and gas pain but otherwise I'm alive.

The doctors said everything was most likely because if the anesthesia. There were many times when I thought, "what the hell did I do"..." I wish I could go back to before the surgery." Hopefully things start to look up and I will feel less regret.

Submit "Through hell and back" to Digg Submit "Through hell and back" to del.icio.us Submit "Through hell and back" to StumbleUpon Submit "Through hell and back" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh my, you really did have a hard time! I'm so thankful that everything seems to be getting better. I'm sure your family was worried sick. Please keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers. Wishes for much better successful days ahead!
    I'm so sorry to hear about your experience! I'm glad that you are home and feeling a little better. I also had buyer's remorse right after surgery. But, each day got so much better. By the end of the first week, I was over my remorse. I also have a terrible reaction to anesthesia. I was nauseous and dry-heaving for the first 3 days. It's not fun! Please keep us posted on your progress...
    I had surgery Oct 4th and had a horrible experience as well. I dry-heaved for 4 days until I finally ended up in the ER getting nausea medication and 4 bags of fluids. My heart rate was at 42 and my blood pressure was elevated. Luckily with their help the nausea has passed and after 1 week today I am still weak but feeling much better. Best of luck to you!
    Keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery!
    Rox, Ready and Jeremy - what types of anesthesia did you have? I wonder if there's a common med involved. Would be nice to know if that's the case and I'll make a big note for my big day

I hope you are all feeling and healing better!
    I'm so sorry to hear you had such a horrible surgery experience. I pray that it is all smooth sailing from here on out for you!
    Your heart rate may be up because you are a little bit dehydrated. If it continues tell your surgeon. If he doesn't have an answer and it still continues see a cardiologist.
    Oh my gosh! I am very sorry to hear your horror story. I am so very happy that you have pulled through it and seem to be on the road to recovery. Praying for you and I agree with teresaloves2trvl , stay on top of the heart rate and make them give you an answer if it doesnt get better.
    How scary! I am glad it wasn't a blood clot or pneumonia, which is my biggest fear. Hopefully your road gets much smoothier. Good luck and take care.
    I am so sorry to hear of your experience. Here's hoping it gets easier from here on out.
    omg how scary.. thank god you are ok!
    OMG! I am glad ur better, holy cow, that's crazy! Best of luck that ur recovery stays smooth
    OMG! I am so glad that you are okay and SO sorry that you had to go through that. I hope that the rest of your recovery is smooth sailing.
    OMG! So scary! Hope you feel better. God I hope that nothing like this happens to me or no one else. This is experience makes you reconsider...
    I would have been scared to death. Thank goodness you are doing better now. I hope it's all smooth sailing from here on in!
    This started when you hit the pain button on the machine? Then the sweat, then additional sickness? I didn't do ICU, or code, but this happened to me too. Heart rate went to 48, they were surrounding me like vultures. The pain meds, caused ALL of it..............It almost stopped my heart-

Im glad your better, and this will pass!
    I had a rough post op course, but nothing like this. I was just plain old dehydrated and they had to pull 75% of my stomach out of my chest before they could do the surgery. What is interesting in all the stories and replies I see is the nausea. I only needed Zofran once. Why? I think it is because my Doctor puts Scopolamine patches behind the ear of every patient before surgery. ( This is the same thing used for seasickness on cruise ships.) I am an RN and I believe this is what helped the most. Oh, I had pain and I got relief from the med they gave me. But if there is an upside to your story, it sounds like they took good care of you and everything they did ( with the exception of the idiot pushing your bed ) was totally appropriate. You may still have a rough time for a week or so but things will be getting better, especially when you see the weight coming off. Good Luck!
    Thank you all for you kind words and advice! I am feeling much better now. Still very very weak but the heart rate came down and I can walk a little more now. Thank goodness though cuz I was scared for a while there. Now I'm just dealing with the depression of not being able to just get up and do what I used to. But that will come back with time.