Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Reversing Hashimoto Disease

Can Hashimoto Disease be Reversed?

Rate this Entry
For those of you who don't know, Hashimoto disease is an auto-immune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid. It causes scar tissue and the eventual demise of your thyroid. It also causes joint pain, overall fatigue and what I like to call brain fog just to name a few and opens the door apparently for other auto-immune disorders. I also have PCOS which causes irregular periods, elevated testosterone and unattractive facial hair growth primarily on the chin and jaw line . I also have so much bloating that I have pockets of water in my legs often and my rings rarely fit. I have been overweight for about 20 years and I also have diabetes, high blood pressure, low thyroid function and fatty liver.

To lose weight I checked myself into a 2 week program at Pritkin and followed a no salt diet for 6 months. I did protein liquid only shakes for 6 weeks. I did a juice cleanse for 3 weeks. I tried low cal (600 to 700) diets with B12 and fat burning injections. I hired personal trainers for 3 months and worked out like a body builder. I went completely gluten free. (it is said gluten is bad for auto-immune diseases.) The list goes on and on with similar results. I would lose weight the first month and then my body would seem to get "used to" the new calorie level and the scale would barely move from there. Well if I was going to maintain my weight only, then why not eat normal? And that's what I did for the past several years.

Perhaps the most painful thing to accept in my life was the fact that my husband and I would not be able to have children. I didn't gain weight from the sadness, but I can't help but think had I lost some weight would our dream had come true. It's a bit late for that now though as I am turning 44 at the end of this year.

My highest weight was 236 and I am just under 5' 2" I was steady at around 205 to 210 for the past year. My lowest weight from all the crazy diets was 171. I take 3 pills per day for the diabetes, 1 for blood pressure, 1 for thyroid and a diuretic. I was always tired which many people took as lazy, and just a general feeling of being sick all the time.

This past January we were on a cruise and I had a sharp pain on my right side for hours. I thought it was my liver as I have had elevated function come out in blood tests before and started to really worry about my health.

I started to research weight loss surgery 2 months. My husband always felt it was too risky and too extreme. He had seem me go liquids only in the past and worried what if I tried this and it also failed - how could I deal with another huge disappointment in my life?

I met with a surgeon who told me this - because many of my issues are hormonal perhaps I would not lose weight as fast or as much as everyone else, but I would inevitably lose some weight, but more importantly the surgery would reverse my diabetes and get me off blood pressure medication. That would leave me with thyroid medicine only. Could I drastically change my eating for the rest of my life and accept minimal weight loss if that was my fate in exchange for curing to major health issues in my life. It took a lot of soul searching, prayers, reading this forum and tears and then I felt I got a sign. My insurance would not cover the procedure as they initially said they would - now what? Was this telling me not to go through with it. Then a few hours later the doctors office called and told me that I had gall stones and needed surgery no matter what. Was that a sign to get them both done at once?

I had doubts until about 48 hours before the surgery, but then all of a sudden felt a sense of peace with my decision. We paid 50% of the surgery and financed the other half over 1 year with no interest (thank you to the love of my life for being onboard,) and I am happy to report that today is Day 7 recovering from gastric sleeve.

I could sit here and talk about the pain in one incision or the fact that I lost 12 pounds to only gain 1 back from some strange reason last night, but I can't focus on any of the negative. I have not taken any diabetes medicine since the day before my surgery - something I have been on for 16 years. My blood pressure pills is down to a half dose, and I believe that I will be off the medicine when I see my doctor on Monday. What an accomplishment in such a short time. I also feel more energy recuperating from a surgery than I have in years.

My pre-surgery weight was 208. As to whether this journey to fighting back for my health will end in a small or large weight loss, only time will tell but I an going to focus on all of the other reasons I chose to make this drastic life chance.

Thank you all for listening and for sharing your dreams and challenges. It made my decision much easier to read through your inspiring stories and accomplishments.

Submit "Can Hashimoto Disease be Reversed?" to Digg Submit "Can Hashimoto Disease be Reversed?" to del.icio.us Submit "Can Hashimoto Disease be Reversed?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Can Hashimoto Disease be Reversed?" to Google

Comments

My gosh, you've been through so much to get here! You sound like a tough cookie though, and I admire you for not giving up. Best wishes on your jouney.
    I can't say Hashimoto's can be reversed but I had to stop taking my thyroid meds 2 weeks before surgery. I am 3 months post op and haven't taken it yet. I tried but the dose is way high and I don't have the mental fog, depression, not near the water retension I had before, and feel relatively normal... I know you knw what I mean.... I will go next month to get blood work done again and see where its at.. I feel I need some meds but definitely not what I needed before the surgery. I am a slow loser compared to many...27 lbs in 90 days but I knew this going in and am grateful for the 27. I'm finding that I cannot eat carbs besides small amounts like veggies and sometimes fruit Good luck to you. I agree with your doctor ... to get off of 2/3rds of your meds is worth the change!!
    I am a slow loser also and will probably be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. Good luck with your journey. God Bless...Mem
    Thank you for sharing that weight loss is slow but possible with low thyroid.
    I can only speak of your PCOS conditions, as I have it too. There is a PCOS group on here if you're interested.

My pcos conditions were swelling, irregular periods and facial hair. Spironolactone has decreased swelling, and reduces the hair growth. Since weight loss I can tell a big reduction in hair growth.

I'm glad that you made the decision to have surgery, I believe that you will be pleasantly pleased with your results.

Best wishes and much success to you!