Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Think

I Have Been Approved!!

Rate this Entry
Dr Ramos Kelly has approved me and agreed to be my surgeon! I found out yesterday morning and have been very excited for the past 30 hours. I have no spleen, so I had to agree to paying for platelets or whole blood if it came to it, but that is no different than if I were to have surgery in the states. A couple weeks ago I already requested the withdraw from my retirement, because if I don't have this surgery I may not be here to spend my retirement.

About 10 days ago I changed physicians, or at least changed the physician I would submit my health history to first, knowing there might be a possibility to have to submit to more than one during my process. Three years ago I had to have open heart surgery to repair the defects that Fen-phen left me with. I had to have my aortic valve replaced and the surgeon was able to repair my mitral valve. I had no idea I was looming on the edge of heart failure for the past 15 years. It just took a little bit of bacteria to latch it's self on the heart valves that were left with little rough patches from the diet drug. I never was tested when they pulled the medicine off the market because I was 30 and had no health insurance. I was a single mom working 36 hours a week and taking 19-22 college credits a term, and felt there were more important areas to spend the money.

Seven weeks later, I was released from the hospital. Minus my spleen, another abdominal surgery where I was internally bleeding, and now pig parts in my heart. I had 8 little clots come off my heart and go to my brain, so I had to learn to walk and write again. One of those clots lodged into the retinal artery, so I am over 50% blind in it. It was an ordeal, that I can say for certain.

I had another doctor all picked out, after all I am going to Mexico for weight loss surgery, not a 'vacation.' When I shared my decision with my son, he was a little hesitant. We talked about the prior doctor and what to expect, since the plan is for him to come with me. He was not crazy with the fact that I would not be staying in a hospital. So on went the search for another surgeon, and that is how I found Dr Kelly. My son is thrilled that he grew up in the states, and has been in the military, and that I will be in a hospital for 2 days. Here I thought a 'day surgery' would be easier on him, I guess I should have asked him. But everything happens for a reason, and I was meant to go with Dr Kelly. My BMI is 34.7, so I do not have tons of weight to loose, but what I have is too much for my frame, and too much for heart parts that do not belong to me.

So this evening I will give my son a call to let him know of the approval. He is in the next state over in Job Corps learning welding. He is excited about the travel to Mexico & 'protecting Mom', and I am excited to share this next step of my life with him. I can't think of anyone else I would rather take with me! I have raised a good kid!

Submit "I Have Been Approved!!" to Digg Submit "I Have Been Approved!!" to del.icio.us Submit "I Have Been Approved!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "I Have Been Approved!!" to Google

Comments

Your son sounds like a great young man - obviously you are taking the best possible person to be by your side. Good Luck!
    Thank you Rox, I scared the 'you know what' outta him with the heart ordeal, and definitely do not want to scare him again. I am so very fortunate to have a close and loving relationship with him. Am working up to telling my daughter, she will not be this accepting