Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodgirl
    Way to go Christie! You are an inspiration!!
    Thank you hon. I am just trucking along and do my best.
    Way to go Christie! You are an inspiration!!
    Christie, I walk a ton along with getting my runs in. Actually, it's the latest training method for distance runners...mixing walking, running and weightraining. Sooooo, I've been running day, then elliptical, then walking then repeat while listening to my body. Walks are around 4.1 to 4.3 mph treadmill while watching Sons of Anarchy episodes. I was leery until Tues morning I tested my cardio with a 5 mile run outside. All my training thus far has been indoors. I totally smoked the run while listening Disturbed and finished strong. A 10k would be cake right now....so listen to your body, walk, ellliptical and when your hip is good....you won't have lost a thing. Go girl!!!=}
    I have that problem occasionally, it isn't actually my hip, it's the outside top of my leg. Doctor says it's bursitis. I've never done anything about it because it comes and goes, but I've heard of people having a cortisone shot that takes away the pain.
    Thanks everyone! I am thinking you guys are on to something with the vitamin D deficiency. My sister (who was sleeved a little over 5 years ago) had a lot of issues with vitamin D deficiency. So I did go to the drug store today and get some vitamin D to add to my list of vitamins/supplements to take daily.
    Christie--you are an absolute inspiration. I won't be doing any running when I get the weight off, but my husband and I are looking forward to doing a lot of exploring of our new state when we retire at the end of the year. He just got 2 new knees and by then hopefully I will have lost a significant amount of weight. We will be moving to Texas right after retirement so we can be closer to kids/grandkids, so after being California people our entire lives we will have a lot to explore. Thank you again for your inspiring posts.
    Keep up the good work! I can only hope to do as well as you have. Being in pain is hard when you just wanna keep going, but I agree with Sandra3 abut the vitamin D deficiency. I was fatigued and had bone pain so I went to the doctor. She sent me to have lab work done and it turns out that I was also vitamin D deficient, so much so that I have to take 2,000IU daily just to keep it up there. My doctor told me that at least 75% of the population is vitamin D deficient and they don't even know it. Some lab work wouldn't hurt, it's better to know than to let it go. Also, vitamin D helps with calcium absorption so if you're deficient then chances are your body isn't absorbing enough calcium as it needs no matter how much you take in.
    You're doing sooooo good! Really hope you find out what is going on and that it is nothing. Great picture!
    Christie, all the best to you on feeling better. In my support group, one participant said the surgeon won't release her to run yet even though she wants too bad. Advice was to take care with running, he won't release most of us to run until we have most of the weight off, he said an injury to a WLS patient can be devastating in that you can't exercise and it could possible affect your overall goals. Be patient with yourself!
    You're doing fantastic!! WOO HOO! You're my inspiration.
    Today is my first week back to work. Next week I plan on joining the gym!

Hope you hips feel better soon!
    PS: just received (finally) my lab results. My Vitamin D is still too low...and I take a lot! but I was just reading an article in a medical journal, they said that low D gives pain in the bones...I didn't know, thought it was only calcium..
    You should be proud!! you're doing great!! and it seems to be really warm in Texas right now! wow! sleeveless! yesterday I had two sweaters on! it was only 10C but it's always humid here...

Great news for the shoes too, I will try those in a few months.

But your pain could be coming from anything from new shoes to your body adjusting to your new gravity center or new posture. It might go away very soon.
    I had pains here and there in my body during the first six months, nothing really persistent besides injuries, but that was an entire other issue. May be you could run on a treadmill to try to see if it feels better because there's more cushion and it's less impact on your body.

I was actually talking to my surgeon about my calcium level during one of my post-op and he said that a blood test is not enough we need to have a densitometry Xray/scan to make sure our bones are ok. I also take many supplements, calcium and have it in my food daily as well but since I do have several others deficiencies, I was told to be careful. Tricky part is that our blood test could be ok on calcium because the body is taking it from our bones. That's why we have to check with a scan to make sure. I think I will do it in a few months.
    Congrats on the new buff you! Be kind to yourself. Running is tough on the body. Resting it is important plus you're still being active. That's a win.
    You are doing great and should be proud of yourself.
    Thanks TarotAces and blackjac24! This journey has been so wonderful!
    My problem areas have always been my butt, hips, and thighs. Reading your progress gives me hope that I may too have thin thighs!
    I am so happy for you, I remember when I hit that mark, I think I danced around like I won the lotto...Lol. Brooks shoes are the best... Great big hugs to you.
    Holy crap!!!! That's soo great!!! I am excited for you girl!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you Elle and Hotrodgirl! I feel pretty damn excited!
    Hi, Christi! Just reading some old posts and came across this. First, let me say you look fabulous! I hope to be so successful! Secondly, what part of Italy are you traveling to? My father is from Italy (my mother was born here bit her parents are from there as well) and all my family are there. I've been many times as a child and adult and absolutely love that country! Does your father reside there? We're from the Abruzzi region (L'Aquila). Approx 2 hrs north of Rome. I'm jealous to not be going this year! Have a wonderful and safe trip!
    You ROCK! Way to go!!
    Congratulations!!! That is so exciting!!! As soon as I hit 196 I'll just be over weight and I can't WAIT!!! Love the shoes by the way!
    My husband and I grew up spending most of our childhood overseas. We basically came back to France for High School, when we met. After Uni and a few years in the work force I got my first job overseas and my husband followed me in my field so we could work together. We started to buy online before we left France 15 years ago but at that time it was a pain in the neck to return anything and sometimes it was just quicker to just take the car and go pick up the item from a store.
    We moved to the US 10 years ago, I discovered Prime soon after and it was so great and easy for two working parents! I also tried the pantry thing in March. Price was good but delivery too long.
    Anyway, once you had great service, it feels like going back in the past to use something else.
    In a few countries online is almost not existent. Here in Taiwan, it does work but Chinese is an issue (I'm not really fluent enough to find it easy), and since it's mainly all in cash in Asia, even for online shopping it's the same and it's not that convenient. If you don't have the only bank card they accept from their own bank (usually I don't ) you have to go pay cash to a convenience store but have only 24h to do that.
    At the end, I'm frustrated but spend less because I just think " I would need that but will wait for my next trip to the US".
    So I got my shoes in March when I was in the US because I was able to order several pairs and find one that my feet liked. I still wear W in Sport shoes, don't really need to any more but I like to have thick socks. In Asia no W or half sizes...
    I still order books for the kids on Amazon, it takes around two/three weeks to arrive, shipping is not too high. I usually just get my books on my Kindle, but kids don't like Kindle. But if I buy something else, usually between taxes and shipping it's not worth it. Shipping is only good for books.
    Anyway, I hope you will like your shoes! at least if you don't you can send it back easily.
    I was hoping that losing weight would help on many aspects, but since I can now be more active, I also got double the injuries! for sure aging is also guilty but I just hope it will really get better at some point because the whole story of one injury per month is starting to get on my nerves...and it's raining EVERY DAY for at least ten days now so no bike either!! argh!!
    Anyway, we should see the sun this week end, crossing my fingers!
    Let me know about your shoes! I always like to know about good shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Congrats! great news!!
    Getting to that BMI is actually my goal. Doc think I should not go lower because of my scan results...we'll see, plenty of time before I reach it! hopefully next Summer...
    I know what you mean with Amazon, I miss it so much! because I still travel to the US I kept prime anyway, I can have access to music and TV , AND still useful when I send gifts too.
    I love my last running shoes, I use it for walking but they give me the best support. It's the Asic Gel Noosa. Since 4 of my toes broke almost two years ago finding the right shoes has been worth than before but those shoes are just great.
    I have lived overseas many years but was always at a base so I had all the American conveniences with the added perk of living in different countries. I spent most of my life in Italy because my mother was Italian and my father retired Air Force. But I also have lived in the Netherlands, Japan, Turkey, Spain, and Germany. Not a bad life! I never got Amazon prime until I moved back to the US. I did do a lot of online shopping, though. Just no prime membership.
    I am going to try out these Brooks as I have heard great things, but if they don't feel awesome to run in I will definitely look into the Asic ones. I wear tennis shoes often so I don't mind if I end up using them as just regular shoes. I am hoping they are great though. I am definitely needing extra cushioning. Ah, the joys of aging. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notoriousbig
    Go gurl! Great job....keep pushin and have fun with your new life and body....simply awesome! Alvin
    Thanks Alvin! I am loving this new life! I cannot believe I waited so long to do it!
    Fractured the C2 vertebrae after a fall down the stairs during the super bowl that I don't remember. No exercise (not even walking, except around the house) for a month. Not to mention no running, skiing, anything fun. YUCK!!! But I'm not paralyzed, so I am happy. Sounds like that was a very likely option with this vertebrae.
    Congrats! great news!!
    Getting to that BMI is actually my goal. Doc think I should not go lower because of my scan results...we'll see, plenty of time before I reach it! hopefully next Summer...
    I know what you mean with Amazon, I miss it so much! because I still travel to the US I kept prime anyway, I can have access to music and TV , AND still useful when I send gifts too.
    I love my last running shoes, I use it for walking but they give me the best support. It's the Asic Gel Noosa. Since 4 of my toes broke almost two years ago finding the right shoes has been worth than before but those shoes are just great.
    Go gurl! Great job....keep pushin and have fun with your new life and body....simply awesome! Alvin
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    You do not look anywhere near obese!

You'll have to run for me for a month while by broken neck heals! I will have to find fun fashion to go with a neck brace. It won't be a blouse that's for sure. Sweaters I think.
    What?? What did you do to your neck??? I hope it heals quickly. That must be terrible. Yikes.
    Thanks for saying I don't look obese. While I know I still need to lose a little bit I keep looking at myself wondering how I am classified as obese. I keep chugging along. I guess I will know when I get to the weight that looks "healthy" on me. I put 120 but my range for my height is 92-123. At 92 lbs I would look like a skeleton. So I will see as I get closer what feels "right" for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2
    Congratulations on your progress. what kind of work out is c25k? cant wait till i can do more than walk.
    It is a program that eases you into running. It is awesome! I did it years ago and was very successful with it. Now that I am getting thinner I decided to do it again. I like to do races once I am in shape. So my goal is to do a half marathon by December of this year. They have one in my town.
    You do not look anywhere near obese!

You'll have to run for me for a month while by broken neck heals! I will have to find fun fashion to go with a neck brace. It won't be a blouse that's for sure. Sweaters I think.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast