Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Maia0628

My disease is real too!

Rate this Entry
Obesity the ignored disease....

I work in healthcare and see sickness in all ages and forms. *I have noticed lately that obesity isn't looked at the same way as other diseases. Especially by those who have never had weight issues. Obese people are viewed as out of control gluttons that could loose weight if they weren't so damned lazy!! Well I know better we all have our own individual reasons for the way we are and if it was such an easy fix the country wouldn't be plagued by obesity related diseases!

People die everyday from obesity related illness. The anorexics, bullimics do too. But the "thin" diseases bring sympathy. The heavy person gets nasty looks and harsh words. I don't know why we are treated soooo differently. Think about this, it is a compliment to be called skinny, tiny, puny....however any form of fat words are denigrating & shameful.

We are just as sick as the person with her finger in her throat. My sleeve will not be a magic wand but it will be that jump start that I desperately need to get me back to better health. I have battled my weight for the majority of my life. This is a battle I need a little help with, it's ok to seek help isn't it?*

Submit "My disease is real too!" to Digg Submit "My disease is real too!" to del.icio.us Submit "My disease is real too!" to StumbleUpon Submit "My disease is real too!" to Google

Tags: support, thoughts Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You are absolutely right!! I remember one time my mom went into a store to by a coat and the sales person ridiculed her because of her size ( which was an 18). My mom was one of the sweetest people I've ever known.. It really hurt my heart to see her cry. ( I was just a teen at that time, but I remember it so well). There are many many ignorant people who have no clue! It is a battle. I wish they would have had this type of help back then.. I know my mom would have done what I am doing and I really feel like I would have her blessing! I know she will be in my heart when I have my sleeve done next Tuesday and she will be with me through the journey forever!
    I agree, I'm in the healthcare field as well and even my doc which she is sweet in so many ways but if I go see her in my scrubs (right after work so I dont have time to change) and I step on the scale she almost gives me that look of.."You of all people should know better" I absolutely hate it. You bring up a GREAT point which I never really thought about, anorexia, is a disease and is viewed as such. Yet we get the stink eye. I have been overweight all my life and I need help and I'm not afraid to ask for it because at the end of the day all I'm trying to do is take care of my physical and mental health because we all know this whole mental health and happiness is just as important.