Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

janetm

My Story ... It's been up and down but things are getting better

Rate this Entry
Well, I'll just start at the beginning ... I was sleeved on November 4, 2013. Unfortunately I developed a post surgery infection around day 9 or 10 that showed up as leakage from two of my incision sites as well as the drain site. I was prescribed anti-biotics and took them for a whole week before being informed that the culture that was taken the day I went into emergency had come back and the drugs I was prescribed would not work.

I was then admitted to the hospital for a few days and given an IV dose of two very strong antibiotics and was discharged with an oral perscription. This was the beginning of a long process that eventually led to my December hospitalization. I began to seriously struggle with nausea which I believe was triggered by the heavy doses of antibiotics that were prescribed for me.

As the nausea worsened I was able to take in less and less water - eating anything was impossible. I mostly dry heaved and occasionally brought up bile. Things eventually became so bad that I was admitted to hospital in early December where I stayed through Christmas. A feed tube was eventually inserted so I could get some nourishment and of course I was hydrated as
well. I never realized that nausea could be so difficult to treat once it takes hold. It took experimenting with several medications before something was found that worked. The post-op infection was under control long before the nausea was dealt with.

Anyway I was finally discharged on new Years Eve and have been home for the past two weeks and each day I feel stronger. Even though I am 9 weeks post op and my stomach is pretty well healed I am still only able to consume very small quantities of food at one time after so long of not being able to eat anything at all. Now I am trying to eat 4 or 5 times a day. I have one or two protein drinks if I can and am still working on getting all my water in. Each day I feel stronger.

I have lost 61 lbs. and I must say that the past few days I have been trying on clothes that haven't fit me in years and finding they fit perfectly now. Yesterday I slipped into a pair of size 16 jeans that I have hopefully hung onto all these years. They fit me like a glove.

So ... having been one of the unlucky few who do experience serious complications would I be sleeved if I could start all over again? The answer is yes, I would. The way I was going before choosing to have the sleeve surgery I would have ended up with serious medical problems anyway. I have had a tough time but the hard part is behind me and now I am experiencing the plus side of being sleeved.

Well that's my story. Even though I haven't been posting much I am a daily reader of all the blogs posted here. I have drawn strength from what so many of you have shared. I just want to say thank-you to everyone who posts regularly.

Janet

Submit "My Story ... It's been up and down but things are getting better" to Digg Submit "My Story ... It's been up and down but things are getting better" to del.icio.us Submit "My Story ... It's been up and down but things are getting better" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Story ... It's been up and down but things are getting better" to Google

Comments

WOW-tough journey but great attitude. here's to a more boring journey for you! -gordita
    Thank you for sharing, good luck on your journey.
    Thanks for sharing your story! Good luck to you in the future!
    Wishing you wellness & a speedy recovery in 2014
    Sending you good thoughts for a better, brighter, and infection free, 2014!!!
    Congrats! On the new you this is only the beginning....
    I'm glad things are finally better Janet. You've had a tough road but your attitude is so positive.