Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

itsmytime

A Year in Maintenance and I'm Doing it!

Rate this Entry
So I'm almost 2 years post op. It's been wonderful. Last October when I hit maintenance I was cautiously excited. I was smaller than I'd been since high school back when I played every sport I could. I was wearing size 4's and 6's and feeling great. I was worried about the REAL test....maintaining my weight. That was always very hard for me to do in the past. Our large tummies were built so we could consume large amounts of food in times of feast because humanity dealt with so many famines. Our ancestors had a much harder time of it, didn't they? Actually having to hunt for food and pray they could eat enough in a sitting or two to last a while because they didn't know when their next meal would come? Biology of our bodies hasn't changed much so now we have a ton of food in some countries and definitely have the big stomach to accommodate it. With this small sleeve, I feel like this is how my stomach has to be because of the overabundance of food and how EASY it is to eat too much! I was never a grazer. Always a volume eater. I was hoping beyond hope the sleeve would be just what I needed. So far so good!

So maintenance is when the anxiety begins. When you wonder if you can do it in the long run. Can I keep the weight off? Am I going to start gaining gobs of weight? Well I have been maintaining my weight for just over a full year and I'm celebrating that even more than losing the weight. I'm wearing the same 4's and 6's I wore last year, even some 2's thrown in there (vanity sizing They are actually looser than last year because I lost a few more pounds right when I started maintenance. So I'm celebrating maintaining my weight! That's a bigger victory for ME than losing it. I knew I could lose weight. The holy grail in my mind was maintenance. I keep an eye on my jeans and if they feel the slightest bit tight, I look over my carbs and water and protein and make see what I'm doing and what I can do to make sure I don't start gaining weight. I cut back if I need to. I refuse to buy a new wardrobe. My goal is to wear the same clothes year after year and enjoy my new health. MY GOAL IS TO KEEP MY DIABETES IN REMISSION AND SO FAR, SO GOOD! I wish everyone the best out there. Losing the weight is fun, exciting, and even scary sometimes when you freak out about stalls and wonder if this is it. I loved the weight loss. But i was even more excited about maintenance and scared and nervous! But here I am! A year later and keeping it off! The VSG has been absolutely wonderful for me and if you treat your body and health well, eat mindfully, and don't put your head in the sand when your clothes start getting tight you can keep the weight off and do it well! Just keep your head in the game. Big hugs everyone!! You can do it!!

Submit "A Year in Maintenance and I'm Doing it!" to Digg Submit "A Year in Maintenance and I'm Doing it!" to del.icio.us Submit "A Year in Maintenance and I'm Doing it!" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Year in Maintenance and I'm Doing it!" to Google

Comments

That's awesome! Congratulations! I'm a month out and doing better than I'd hoped, but haven't reached what I know will be the hard part for me as well... Maintenance. It's all puppies and rainbows while the weight is coming off and you're continually motivated by NSV's and the scale moving, but the REAL mind game for me at least will come later! Good to know someone is winning the war!
    Thank you for taking the time to write . Congratulations! You have done so well and this blog has really been inspirational. Much appreciated, Shirley
    It's great to hear from someone as far out from the surgery as you. Thank you for posting and congratulations on your weight loss and your maintenance! It gives me hope...
    "keep your head in the game"
    I'll remember that. Thank-you ... Janet
    Thanks for posting this. My biggest fear is that I will have the surgery and then just eat as I have been and it will be a failure. I go for my sleeve surgery on January 6th so it is nice to know that it can be done!
    Wow that is great.......congrats put pictures on....it would so appreciated....tks and continue the great journey
    Sounds like you are dealing successfully with maintenance that is good for me to hear. I am half way through my second year and finding that I am facing one of my demons (mindless eating) of course I can't just sit down and eat big....just picking. My meal portions are still small, and this is very helpful. Funny thing is popcorn can go down in almost unlimited amounts, and they had to come out with sweet and salty. BOO So what I am working on is mindful eating and not using popcorn as my comfort food. It is curios how I can be on the computer with one hand and eat the popcorn with the other. I know that popcorn as a snack (plain) is OK it is the mindless eating that is the issue. This is work, the sleeve really helps one to educate self and have personal growth. I am enjoying being at a healthy weight and I thank the sleeve for helping me maintain. Cheers
    Wonderful! Congratulations!
    thank you so much for sharing... i'm only 4.5 months out and keep hitting stalls... i can eat more than before and it scares me that I'll mess this up too (esp so early on)! Maintaining will be a whole new challenge I'm sure... congrats!!! i hope to be as successful
    Congrats! I love hearing success stories!
    This is an awesome success story. I wish that I could have the weight loss that so many of you talk about. I am about six months out and I must say that I feel like I am dieting just like I was before. It is a long hard battle for me. I will say that it is a little easier because I am not always hungry as before but I do get hungry on a daily basis. I pray for your continued success.
    Quote Originally Posted by SethP
    This is an awesome success story. I wish that I could have the weight loss that so many of you talk about. I am about six months out and I must say that I feel like I am dieting just like I was before. It is a long hard battle for me. I will say that it is a little easier because I am not always hungry as before but I do get hungry on a daily basis. I pray for your continued success.
    Seth are you drinking enough water? That really makes a difference in weight loss. Also, are you consuming DENSE proteins like chicken? That really helps keep you full. I ate a lot of dense chicken breast, chicken fajita meat, ham slices w/cheese, lean cuts of steak, turkey sausage, eggs during weight loss to keep me fuller longer. Make sure you are waiting 30 minutes to drink after eating. You can do this. You don't have to hit goal in 6 months. You have plenty of time. To be honest, a lot of people don't hit goal in 6 months. It took me 8 months but i only had around 90-100 lbs to lose overall. Try to at least walk for 30 minutes a day. I hope things get better for you. Stalls happen a lot. There is usually one around the 6 month point. The key is just following the plan and having faith it will pass. You can't get discouraged at a stall. They happen to pretty much everyone during weight loss usually. 6 months is usually when weight loss slows down. Keep the faith, keep the plan, and keep up with a positive attitude. You can do it.
    Thank you for sharing that you are maintaining your weight loss. My greatest fear is gaining it back. However, I never had support like this before and having the med problems makes me try to be more positive.
    Thanks for sharing. Your story is inspirational. Thank you!