Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

calicojack42

Breaking up is hard to do...

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I'm finally ready, and not a moment too soon either. This morning I woke up and took my normal early morning walk, with the same feelings of loss and woe that I have been struggling with for a fortnight. But, something happened after breakfast. I went to put my shorts on and before I tightened my belt, they fell to the floor. Intrigued, I weighed in and found that I was down 21 pounds. Later, my wife and I took the dogs to the park, and suddenly the melancholy broke like a fever.

My stomach and I have been in a love-hate relationship, and it's quite literally killing me. So long as he gets what he wants, my stomach is content to treat me nice, or in the very least, leave me to my own devices. Ignored, he rages and beats me and my mood into the ground. He growls and grumbles and causes me physical and emotional pain. He knows I've been trying to alter our relationship, and as soon as he sees me make a move, he intensifies his attack. When he's appeased and happy, he makes me happy, by telling my brain to release endorphins as a reward for complying. When he's ignored and does not get exactly what he wants though, he rages and howls until I'm beaten down and he gets what he's after.

We've been fighting this week, in the wake of the liquid pre-op diet, and he had the gall (bariatric-pun intended) to insinuate that without him I would be eternally miserable, unable to find joy in life after he's gone. He's said this over and over and over.

Joseph Goebbles once said "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." After two weeks of enduring his onslaught, I began to believe my stomach. I had resigned to him, and he was starting to win out- I had convinced myself, via this lie, that I would fail. I would fail, and all I would have to show for it is a pile of medical procedures, a surgery, and a few scars, so why do it anyway.

But my shorts... they fell on the ground.

It took me a little while to connect all of the dots, but there in the park, it finally came together. His lie had been exposed and I was overcome with joy because I knew at that moment that I would succeed. He and I are parting ways on Monday morning. He knows it, but I'm done listening to him. Once all of the dust has settled, I don't doubt that like with any past relationship, I will think of him often- even sometimes fondly, and wonder what things could have been like under different circumstances. But, also like any breakup, the pain and the joy will be left in the past. The next chapter is ready to start, and I'm finally ready to be in it.

Submit "Breaking up is hard to do..." to Digg Submit "Breaking up is hard to do..." to del.icio.us Submit "Breaking up is hard to do..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Breaking up is hard to do..." to Google

Comments

POWERFUL!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT
    Great read!
    Excellent! I'm sure you will miss one of your best friends and grieve for him time to time but you will be better off without him. Maybe you should do what I did. I am naming my new tummy "Marvin" which will arrive on Tuesday. Marvin is different and he is my true friend.

Awesome post, thanks for the reality and honesty.
    So philosophical and so true! Best of luck to you!
    Thank you for this post. Quite profound & spoke to me
    I look forward to hearing more of your story. Best of wishes on Monday!
    Wonderful post. You made me tear up. Good Luck on Monday!
    Can totally relate,after a third postponement of surgery I almost gave up, but herei am four weeks after the op...many ups and downs still but 21 k down which I would never have done without WLS, best of luck, and keep that wonderful positive attitude, hugs
    Love your story, and I can totally relate. I have been sleeved for 17 days now and I can tell you that your stomach is going to change his tune greatly. Things will be very different in a couple days. I will be thinking of you and sending you good wishes.
    Again a fantastic post. So insightful.
    Enjoy your new tummy
    Dude, I threw out 3/4 of my wardrobe today as they no longer fit. 6X gone. 5x gone. I put on an old 4X dress shirt and it fit a little loose but well enough. I strolled in the bedroom and told my wife: "THis is what a 4X looks like, baby." She's still laughing. Keep up the good work, brother!!!
    Very impressed with your writing. You should consider turning it in to a Bariatric magazine. ( I am sure there is one somewhere.) When I read something like this, it makes me far prouder that I was gutsy ( pun intended ) enough to go ahead with surgery rather then let all these weight loss magazines, shows or weight loss programs convince me that the only "real" way to lose weight is their way. Anything else, is taking the easy way out/cheating.This is definitely not easy nor does it make me or you any less "noble" for doing it. This is our way. All other ways failed. Congrats on your shorts dropping. I can't wait until my jeans do.
    That was great! Wishing you an easy breakup Monday, and a speedy recovery.
    You can do it buddy!
    It's easy going once you get to soft foods. Just let out whatever you need here or to anyone that will listen. This is going to be a game changer for you, hope all goes well. Check in when you can.
    LOVED this post! May you have a successful break-up on Monday with your stomach!
    How utterly profound this was....."de to My Past Relationship."...............should be the title. Good luck and God bless you on your surgery!
    This was totally awesome. Great writer you are. This was wonderful and you spoke of my stomach to a "T"! Enjoyed greatly. Thank you
    Incredibly well put. Good luck to you tomorrow and all of them that follow.