Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    10-25-2015 11:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Default Swollen, Bloated and Miserable

I am almost 4 weeks postop and for the last few days my stomach has been swollen and I feel full all the time. When I try to eat, 1 spoonful and then it comes up or my stomach is just "upset" Also from time to time i get these sharp pains. I have an issue with constipation, so I think it may be gas. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any advices? nOTHING SEEMS TO WORK AND i AM MISERABLE........

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member nycbiscuit's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dakin - NYP Weill Cornell
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 87 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Default Re: Swollen, Bloated and Miserable

Call your doctor's office and let them know the issues you are having. Could be nothing to worry about, could be an issue of... oh, there's a term for it that I can't think where the stomach twists. This also happens with the intestines.
    Are you drinking enough? When you say constipated, do you not have BMs at all or just very irregular? Have you tried some sort of antacid (stuff like Maalox always had an additional "benefit" of relieving any "blockage." Any fever?
    Do you have insurance? Many insurance companies have a 24 call line and you can speak with a registered nurse if you can't wait to speak with your doctor.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    lgoody36
    Surgery date
    08/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank You, I have Kaiser and i contacted my Dr and she said it's normal to be constipated. I had the issue before surgery so it's just worse after. I have enough fluids, pretty much double up on antacids, they do offer relief but i am scared to eat anything now. I pick up a prescription for something to help me tomorrow, thanks, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.........

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    lgoody36
    Surgery date
    08/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

UPDATE: I was able to start Lactobacillus Acidoppilus after 4 weeks and have had a bowel movement everyday since! Sometimes more then once a day! I was taking it before surgery to stay regular. I have always had constipation issues and do not like laxatives, this is the only thing that works for me. I thought I would share in case someone would like to try, if you do, please let me know how it works for you...no more bloat for me and down 2 more pounds!!!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member wyyldnite's Avatar
    Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    09/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    09-30-2016 02:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

i feel the same way. i just had surgery last wednesday. i quit taking the pain meds because of the constipation. seems like my stomach is always growling. im hot and cold all the time. i cant sleep. ive taken colace for the constipation but its not working. i have a lot of gas issues as well. only sleeping a few hours here and there. any advice would be appreciated.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    lgoody36
    Surgery date
    08/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Hello Jenn, I feel your pain,Colace is great don't give up on it just yet....are you able to take tums? Did you get a prescrition for an acid blocker(prilosec, protonix, etc) If not get an over the counter one. I used all three to remove gas daily and I felt much better. Make sure you are drinking your fluids. I know what you are going through. I couldn't even lay on my side it was too painful. It does get better good luck to you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kara
    Surgery date
    09/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregory Walton
    Last Activity
    10-28-2011 10:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was sleeved on 9/20 and am still miserable!! Pain, gas, hot/cold flashes,etc. Right now I think this isn't worth it!! Still on clear liquids. No bm since before surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member wyyldnite's Avatar
    Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    09/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    09-30-2016 02:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

i am feeling a bit better today. have some energy, no pain. they gave me so many meds its not even funny. i have omeprazole and ursodiol to take. seems like after i started taking those was when i noticed the gas pain. my hot/cold flashes are still there but not as bad as yesterday. still no bm. the colace is super nasty tasting. i quit taking the pain meds so hopefully with keeping hydrated that will give me a bm. i did a bit of walking last night and patting my upper chest to help with the gas bubbles. so far so good with everything today.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    lgoody36
    Surgery date
    08/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

wonderful Jenn! I stopped taking the pain meds once I was home too. You will have good and bad days but since you are not even a week out, I wouldn't expect much in the BM area, there is just not much going in. It's all normal, uncomfortable but normal. I also had Omeprzole and Protonix and used them both with the Colace and tumms. 2 weeks out I STILL had not had a BM, so my surgeon allowed me to use a fleet enema, it was the best ever Your stomach bloat is also due to water injected during surgery as well as the gas, took me about 3 weeks to go down. I am glad you feeling better today, all we can do is take it one day at a time! Keep me posted as to how you are doing....Enjoy your day!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    lgoody36
    Surgery date
    08/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Hello Kara, I felt the same for the first 2 days after surgery, gas was so HORRIBLE it felt as if I was having a heart attack!! I know you don't want to hear this but it does get better. You won't have much BM because there is just not much going in so try to eleviate as much gas as possible. Do you have Colace? Any acid blocker over the counter or prescription? Tumms? You HAVE to walk also, it helps with the gas a lot. The surgery is SOOOO worth it but it is a journey and your body will go through many changes. You will have good and bad days. I sure hope today gets better for you! Please keep me posted as to how you are doing.

Gastric Sleeve Member nycbiscuit's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dakin - NYP Weill Cornell
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 87 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

You might try asking your doctor if you can postpone the Ursodiol for a few weeks until you're over the immediate post-op bloat, until you're getting the required fluid, etc. The constipation and gas are one of the most common side effects, and there's really no threat of developing gallstones in a week or two.