Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Binenbaum
    Last Activity
    03-07-2016 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 15 months post op, 20 pounds from goal, at stand still, frustrated and getting number obsessive.

Hello everyone! I am 15 months post sleeve; I had a start weight of 325 in a size 24/26 and currently I weigh 210 in a size 12/14, I am 36 years old. I am so happy I had surgery and I am happy with the results. Although, I'm starting to become obsessive that according to BMI charts at 5'9" I am still "obese." These numbers land me at a BMI of 31. I have been "stuck" since September with this 210 number. I workout, combo of cardio and weight training, 3-4 times a week and count my calories and protein every single day (1,000 calories, 65-75 protein). My goal is to lose 20 more pounds and I don't think that is unrealistic or an unhealthy goal at all, that's even less than the 35 more my PCP suggested. I don't know what to do at this point, I am calling Monday to make an appointment with my program's nutritionist but this is getting very, very frustrating. I do not want to fall into the category of people who turn into obsessive potential eating disorder patients after WLS but I am starting to find myself stepping on the scale daily, obsessing over the food tracking, getting upset over the "31" BMI classification, and in general just looking in the mirror and saying "but you're still fat." I know this is not a healthy way to live, I was NOT like this before surgery at all, I actually had an extremely healthy body image pre-surgery.

Can anyone relate? Any words of wisdom? Suggestions? Thank you.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member rockscott40's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    01/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-16-2017 11:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,066 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 15 months post op, 20 pounds from goal, at stand still, frustrated and getting number obsessive.

I can understand.

You have done a great job !!!!

Congratulations!!

Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    12/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mattar
    Last Activity
    04-04-2017 10:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

Default Re: 15 months post op, 20 pounds from goal, at stand still, frustrated and getting number obsessive.

It must be frustrating to be so close to your goal compared to where you started. I have read about many people who get 15-20lbs. from goal and stall. It sounds like you're doing the right things- working out and eating a reasonable number of calories. You have done well, I hope you don't obsess about it.I think it's great that you're going to talk to your nutritionist about it- he/she may have some ideas for you and ease your mind. Take care, and good luck to you!

Starting weight, Sept. 2014--285
    Day of surgery, 12/16/14---- 264
    12/31/14-----------------------249.4
    1/15/15-------------------------245
    2/16/15……………………………….232.2
    3/30/15…………………….…………222.6
    8/01/15……………………………….218

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-03-2020 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

In a similar boat, feel your frustration! Let us know what the nut says!

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Personally, and in my own very humble opinion, if you are still seeing a NUT, then that is your problem. Again, in my opinion, at 15 months out, you should not want or need a NUT to tell you how to eat. You should have, at this point, made a your own plan, worked that plan, owned your results and changed when necessary.

The way you are going about living isn't sustainable for a life time. You need to be brave enough to change things up and see what happens. We all have had to do it at some point in the trip. You are no different.

So read up on my profile. Hit the link that says recent posts. Then go look at Marvinator, Jessiejess, Little Verbena, Seth and MBL. All did it their way and all are rock stars. Most will be more than happy to help.

Counting calories, fat, carbs and the such is really nothing more than a diet. You are not on a diet. If you are, then you are failing at it and that's not what the sleeve was done for. It was done so you can break down barriers....not build them up. So, live a little.

Here's the first piece of advice I can give you. You are eating way too few calories to support the activity you are engaged in. In other words, your body is burning the calories you give it and then shutting down the metabolism in order to preserve the precious fat stores it has in order to save itself. Sounds weird, but, that's exactly what a stall is. So, if you are going to insist on limiting your calories, then make them count. Make 70-80 percent of your caloric intake consist of carbs. Your body burns carbs and fat for fuel. Not protein. So, while the protein is a crucial, vital, and incredibly important piece to the puzzle, it's not the only piece. You need to eat normally for awhile in order to reset your metabolism and start burning the last of your fat. If you want to go back to eating how you are currently eating once you drop the weight, then more power to you. All I can say is that you will not lose the remaining weight if you continue to engage in eating patterns that obviously are not currently working for you.

You are so close and there is no doubt in my mind that you can do it. All you need is to ditch the NUT and make your own plan. The feeling of accomplishment is very, very empowering and knowing that you alone were responsible for coming up with the plan will give you the tools you need to maintain your goal weight in the future and also it will give you the tools to lose the pesky pounds we all gain from time to time.

If you want, pm me and I'll help. If not, find someone else on here who is currently at or below their goal weight and has maintained it for awhile. You'll find that most, if not all, are willing to help and give advice. Find a system that works for you and make it work.

Good Luck and You've Got This!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your progress so far! You are almost there! Like tin man, I think that you are probably not eating enough. Your body is probably "holding on" to those pounds. Try to increase your protein and see what happens. Like you, I still fall into the overweight category, even though I have lost 85 pounds and am a size 10. I'm OK with it though!

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Eat more lean protein and healthy fats and up your calories, with all the exercise you do you definitely need it!

Gastric Sleeve Member NJShoreGirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Binenbaum
    Last Activity
    03-07-2016 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. It seems like everyone gets to the point post WLS where they have to readjust and figure out a different plan from what had been working previously. I'm going to take the advice from everyone here, my friends who've done it, my nutritionist, doctors, etc and see where I land and what I can adjust. I would be happy if I lost the additional 20 pounds by summer. Thank you everyone. Tinman, I will look at all of those profiles, thank you.

Gastric Sleeve Member ladylushT's Avatar
    Name
    Kesha
    Surgery date
    01/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weaver
    Last Activity
    01-06-2016 12:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I am in the same boat. Starting to feel as if my body want what it wants. Haven't any lost weight in 3 months. I bounce between 187-192 my original goal was 165-175 now I am not so sure. But I realize that you need to be happy with the process because that is exactly what it is. Don't lose sight of the things that you have accomplished, while trying to meet your goal! Just what I am thinking right now. You look amazing, by the way !

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods