10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Heard a neat concept yesterday...New MFP discovery!

I have heard of this concept before, but couldn't remember enough of it to repeat on this forum...also I have no clue if it is true or not, but still neat. The way this person explained it to me was no matter what you are eating calorie wise, whether it be 600 cals or 3000 cals, what makes up those calories or what is going to be most important...which lead me to this cool discovery I never noticed on my fitness pal...I know I know, and techy geek who hasn't unlocked all the cool shit on MFP yet...go figure...I also sounds like a dyslexic when I type to fast or try to send a text on my smart phone...oh the irony!

So on to my discovery, I wanted to see a break down of what I was eating in a graph style...so in MFP, under the Nutrition tab, right across from the Dark Blue highlighted "Nutrient Details" there is this little pie chart looking thing, and if you click you...guess what...there pops up a graph of you carbs, fats, and protein percentages...

Anyway, the reason the person said that this was important is because whether you are eating 600 cals, or 3000, you body will perceive it as the same...meaning if 50% of your 600 calories is carbs...your body would see it as being the same if 50% of them being carbs if you ate 3000 calories.

I thought that was a pretty neat concept, but the other thing they said, again...NO clue if it is scientifically backed or true, but I asked about a WLS patient's body re-optimizing to work with few calories due to surgery...like if our bodies over time take our daily needed calorie expenditures and auto lower them to work with us eating less over time...inevitably crashing our metabolisms in the long run of things.

Their reply is they didn't believe that that was true either, and even if it did lower your calorie expenditures for regular body function, that happens when you lose weight any way...but their idea was that we feel hungry all the time for 2 reasons, basically, even though we pre-surgery, can eat TONS of food, our bodies are still technically starving because the food we eat is not nutritionally sound. The other reason, is our stomach pre or post surgery are not getting full...whether this is the perception of not being full post op due to the readjustments our brains have to make to work with our new stomachs...or people that have their same old stomachs, no bariatric procedure done to it...when they do things like go on diets...they feel hungry all the time, even though they are eating more nutritionally sound, because their stomach never get that full feeling...you body things you are staving and send signals that keep you hungry to try and get you to eat more.

AGAIN, I have no idea if any of this info is scientifically back, true, or was just opinion based conversation, but I thought it was neat, and worth sharing. Enjoy.

Let me know what you guys think about it...

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Singh
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Heard a neat concept yesterday...New MFP discovery!

Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting theory. I could easily believe that by eating junk we are starving our bodies of nutrition and that could cause us to hold on to weight.

I use Fat Secret and it has that pie chart too and it's been useful to watch my ration of carbs, fat and protein. At different stages in my life, my docs/nutritionalists have given me different

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apythia View Post
    ...I use Fat Secret and it has that pie chart too and it's been useful to watch my ration of carbs, fat and protein...
    Is it ironic or just mean spirited that they use a "pie chart"?

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

6. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apythia View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting theory. I could easily believe that by eating junk we are starving our bodies of nutrition and that could cause us to hold on to weight.

I use Fat Secret and it has that pie chart too and it's been useful to watch my ration of carbs, fat and protein. At different stages in my life, my docs/nutritionalists have given me different
    Never heard of that one, thanks for posting though...I figured that no one would read this thread. Thanks for taking the time to do so!

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa View Post
    Is it ironic or just mean spirited that they use a "pie chart"?
    I think it was meant to keep us interested in it...Oh...I see a pie...I LOVE pie! LOL

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents