Surgeon
    Dr. Grenburg
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 10:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Default 1 year post op & Disapointed !

So today was my 1 year post op appointment & still no weight loss ! I have been at a weight loss stall for the past 6 months and finally the Dr. said " it is a little odd that you have only lost 47 pounds in the year since surgery" . Ya think !! I have been saying this for months now and finally they are going to do a GI test to see if my pouch is leaking, small enough, working right ect.. I just want answers. I still log my food / calorie intake daily. I eat 1,200 calories or less a day. Im doing everything I've been told/asked to do and only down the 47

This journey has been such an emotional rollercoaster for me. When I decided to have the surgery I was at my biggest weight of 347 ! Yikes ! I lost 31 pounds on my own 2 months before surgery & then the 47 with. Yes I know 78 pounds is a big loss but almost everyone I know from all my classes is at there 100 pound mark , & that's just there surgery # not before added in too.

I hope to get some answers soon. I'm so Bummed out. Thanks for letting me vent...............
    Journey started
    April 8th,2013 ~ 347 lbs

Surgery day
    June 26th,2013 ~ 316 lbs

2 month post op
    August 21st,2013 ~ 292

3 month post op
    September 26th,2013 ~ 279

4 month post op
    October 24th,2013 ~ 271

6 Month post op
    December 18th,2013 ~ 271

7 1/2 months post op
    February 5th, 2014 ~ 266

1 year post op
    June 26th,2014 ~ 269

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Deejaycee76's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dustin
    Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Steven A. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    12-29-2017 11:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 130 Times in 115 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 year post op & Disapointed !

You are the only one who truly knows if you're doing everything you are supposed to do. If you are true to yourself, and you just can't lose weight with this procedure, you should look into why you aren't. Is there a possible thyroid problem?
    Are you eating too much? Your meals should only be about 4 ounces. It could be possible your doc didn't take enough stomach out if 4 ounces doesn't fill you.
    Have you drank carbonated drinks?
    Are you getting all of your required protein and water in?
    Lots of different scenarios as to why you can't lose.
    Best of luck finding out what's wrong.
    Get your mind right...Get your grind right

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Grenburg
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times

Thanks for the input . I am being true to this life style change & I've worked very hard to not gain. I asked my Dr. today to check for a possible thyroid problem ( she said yes) . Every Dr / surgeon is different. Your saying 4 oz per meal and today she said 10 oz per meal.. 10 oz's sounds like a lot but she reassured us that if the bulk of the meal was protein that 10 oz was fine.. ??? I do not nor cannot drink Any carbonation ( get sick) I drink a min of 8 glasses of water a day.
    Journey started
    April 8th,2013 ~ 347 lbs

Surgery day
    June 26th,2013 ~ 316 lbs

2 month post op
    August 21st,2013 ~ 292

3 month post op

4 month post op
    October 24th,2013 ~ 271

6 Month post op
    December 18th,2013 ~ 271

7 1/2 months post op
    February 5th, 2014 ~ 266

1 year post op
    June 26th,2014 ~ 269

Gastric Sleeve Member Deejaycee76's Avatar
    Name
    Dustin
    Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Steven A. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    12-29-2017 11:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 130 Times in 115 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow. 10 oz? No way in hell can I get that in. I can only have 3 to 4. 2 to 3 oz of a protein and only 1 oz of either a fruit or a veggie. All I can do. Any more and I will vomit or have a cramping pain. It's been the same since I started eating. 1 month out. I'm now going on 5 months post.
    Get your mind right...Get your grind right

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Jeanie
    Surgery date
    04/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Touliatos
    Last Activity
    01-26-2015 07:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Wow that is not a lot. And 10 oz does sound like a lot of food. I hope they can figure this out for you. I cannot imagine the frustration you must be feeling. Having major surgery to lose then nothing! Good luck and keep us posted.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    09-13-2014 12:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes dear, something is awfully wrong, there is no way you should hold 10 oz. at all in a day--much less a meal..sounds like stomach not small enough. Hopefully they will get it right. I am losing weight slow as well. I am only down by 25 pounds in 2 months--but Im starting an exercise routine this weekend.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    09-13-2014 12:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hope all goes well for you, it can be very disheartening at times, just hang in there,,
    Reason: sent to wrong person

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Amy, sorry to hear you've had difficulties. I do hope your doc and you get this sorted out very soon.

The good news, and there is some, is (as you said) you've lost 78 pounds AND (maybe even better news) you have gained some excellent control over your eating behaviors AND surely a lot of knowledge about how to eat healthfully.

Please let us know what you learn through your upcoming medical tests and investigations.

Best,
    Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Parrish
    Last Activity
    06-01-2015 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 97 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

I can't imagine 10oz of food. You may want to consider reverting back to a liquid diet for a week or so to kick start your weight loss. Also, are you exercising or walking any?

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Grenburg
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times

Thanks everyone, I love all the feed back.
    @ Mary , I do walk 2 / 3 miles per day & I have done a liquid diet for a week and still nothing. I even did the cabbage soup diet & nothing !

I hate it , it's such an emotional rollercoaster knowing that I put my body through surgery and I'm following all the rules and the weight is not coming off. The good news is that I have not gained either. I have been at the same weight for the past 6 months. I hope that the test will finally give me the answers that I have been asking for. And for the record I thought my eyes were going to bug out of my head when the Dr. said 10 oz's per meal ! I made her repeat herself to make sure I heard her right. That to me sounds like a lot !!

I will keep everyone up to date on the progress. And also I would like to add that besides the SLOW weight loss I have had no complications . My vitamin levels are 100% , no dumping / cramping , mild hair loss , no food reactions at all..
    Journey started
    April 8th,2013 ~ 347 lbs

Surgery day
    June 26th,2013 ~ 316 lbs

2 month post op
    August 21st,2013 ~ 292

3 month post op

4 month post op
    October 24th,2013 ~ 271

6 Month post op
    December 18th,2013 ~ 271

7 1/2 months post op
    February 5th, 2014 ~ 266

1 year post op
    June 26th,2014 ~ 269

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Robert Michaelson
    Last Activity
    02-22-2015 04:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I understand where you're coming from. I started at 347 also and am currently 265 (down 34 lbs before surgery). Our stats are surprisingly similar and I, too, would be severely disappointed if this was where it stopped. I agree with others that 10 oz seems huge. I know I can eat more if it's soft like yogurt or cottage cheese, but even then it is 6-7 oz. If it is lean meats I can only do 2 oz plus a few bites of a veggie or fruit. That's great that you are tracking still, I am religious about it also. I have noticed that I can eat the same calories each day but what I eat affects my weight loss, such as high carbs or not enough protein. For your weight, you should definitely still be losing at 1200 calories but I don't think a thyroid problem would stop that either. I've been hypothyroid since I was a child and yes it does make it harder to lose, but definitely not impossible. Walking 2 miles a day is better than nothing but really doesn't burn many calories, so don't rely on that. Maybe try some cardio or strength training to boost your metabolism. Good luck in your efforts, I definitely look forward to seeing you figure it out and succeed. I just noticed we both have the same final goal and hopefully we' ll be in Onederland one day soon!

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Amy,
    Oh, how frustrating! You do all they say will mean easier weight loss, and you get a body that is so stinking efficient it knows when to fight back and biologically keep your weight on, even if you don't want it to.
    Once they've checked your thyroid and hopefully your glucose tolerance...
    There are a couple of options if the med tests don't show something that can be fixed.

One would be something I considered and was not allowed to do by the docs because of my health - go for the 2nd part of the operation - the R-N-Y. You probably already know the sleeve was originally the first part of a two part surgery, first the sleeve to get down as far as possible and then the R-N-Y. Since you are so healthy on the sleeve, you can most likely handle the slight loss of nutrients from the bypass. It may get you the rest of the way.

I'm going to say something that may sound bizarre. I don't think you are eating enough. Especially if you are walking 2 miles a day. Some folks bodies shut down weight loss and metabolism at about 6 mo out because the body is pretty smart. Starve it long enough and it's going to sloooowww things down to avoid losing more fat. We are biologically programmed to hold onto fat. It's a survival thing. I wonder how many carbs a day you are eating?
    I ask because if you've been low carb this whole time, the most significant thing you can do now is to try high carb for a month to reset your system. Stick with about 1400-1500 calories but make most of them complex carbs (no simple sugars)... say 100 carbs a day.... it will rev up your metabolism. A quick easy way to see where your metabolism is at is to check your resting pulse. If it's pretty slow, say, under 60, your metabolism is slow. (while it's very true that athletes also have slow heart rates I'm going to presume you are not in super athletic shape).
    Once you get past your month, try carb cycling.
    Very simplistically put, you eat low carb M-W-F, higher carb T-T-Sat, then you have a day on Sunday to do whatever feels right. Eat 5 meals a day, 3 hrs apart, stop by 7 pm and nothing but water afterward.
    What this does is fire up the furnace on the high carb days and then you drop your carbs the next day to lose weight.
    You may have to try this a few times to get it to work. I ended up having to eat high carb for 3 solid months to get my body to believe it was ok to not store fat. I gained 8 lbs but in the past month have dropped that plus 4 more. It's slowed down to about a lb a week but I don't really expect more than that from my body, I can't exercise much. You may do better. I exercise on my low carb days, riding the wave of energy from the high carb days and using the low carb advantage.
    I am nearly 3 yrs out. I can eat just about 8 oz of most foods, but only about 5 oz of protein. Currently, at just about 18 lbs less than you and 5'5" with a slow metabolism I eat 1300 calories, my low carb days are (approx) 110 pro, 75 fat, 35 carb, my high carb are 90 pro, 45 fat, 80 carbs. This is the balance I have found after an entire year of working on it that proves I can start dropping weight again. After a whole year prior to that of eating 750 calories I can't tell you how great it is to eat 1300 calories!

Earlier I mentioned glucose tolerance. If you had any amount of glucose intolerance, or insulin resistance prior to surgery it may be really fighting you now. There are some meds that you can take to help that if that is the case... so it's worth checking out. They'll do a 6 hr test with blood sugar at fasting then a glucose drink and several more blood tests. (apologies if you already know that, not trying to seem like a teacher here, just being thorough).

You don't have to be done. Many sleevers lose weight in fits and starts. If I can start dropping lbs again at 32 months out it's certainly not over for you either.
    Hang in there. Some of us aren't typical, and we just need a slightly different way of doing things.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-27-2015 01:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaycee76 View Post
    Wow. 10 oz? No way in hell can I get that in. I can only have 3 to 4. 2 to 3 oz of a protein and only 1 oz of either a fruit or a veggie. All I can do. Any more and I will vomit or have a cramping pain. It's been the same since I started eating. 1 month out. I'm now going on 5 months post.
    Pretty much what he said.

I have a huge issue with my thyroid, was looking at getting it removed at one point. I haven't had my meds for it since surgery and am down 90lbs in the first 4 months.

Only to get down 4oz unless i'm eating rice.

They may have not made your pouch small enough.

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/15/2015
    Surgeon
    James Wooldridge Jr
    Last Activity
    07-06-2014 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I am not sleeved yet but it sounds a little strange to me from everything I read and looked at you should not be more that 6oz. by one year. I would first go back to my Dr. then if he says there's nothing wrong I would get a second opinion.

27. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Even with a too-large sleeve, 1200 calories/day at your weight and no weight loss for months makes no sense.

Seems significant testing is now in order.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89