Surgeon
    Dr.Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    07-30-2012 04:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

Default End of my rope. any advice?

Ok as some may know I struggle so bad. First let me say I am eating around 800 calories a day and getting my protein in water. Etc. Etc. I go to the gym most everyday I do 40 min of treadmill at 3.mph and the do a mile on the elliptical. When done with that I either do upper or lower body strength. Tonight after wards I did the hour zumba class. All sounds great right? Wrong. Im not losing nothing nor inches. Actually I cheated Sunday at church dinner first time in 4a weeks and gained 4 pounds in one day. I am to a point where I want to give up. What am I doing wrong? If I up my calories I gain? Tears???

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Finley
    Last Activity
    10-31-2019 07:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: End of my rope. any advice?

Hard to tell what's going on. How much weight have you lost? How much muscle have you gained? Have you continued to lose inches? The 4 pound gain was totally due to water and food weight, not an actual weight gain (as you know logically).
    Hang in there -- sounds like you are doing everything right. Fuel your body, rev the engine (exercise) and the rest will fall into place as it should.
    Hugs

7/10: 238lbs,size 3x; 8/11: 221lbs size 22/2x; 6/12 B4 2 day liquid fast: 210 lbs; 6/13/12: 202.6 lbs
    1 month: 185.4 lbs; 2 months: 170 lbs, size 16; 3 months: 162.6 lbs, size 14; 4 months: 151.8 lbs; 5 months: 143.2 lbs, size 10; 6 months: 142.4 lbs stalls suck ; 7 months: 131.2 lbs, size 6 - 8; 9 months 130.2, size 6 - no real loss in 2 months -- Think I am done!

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you visit your NUT to get some advice? I found that elliptical burns more calories than walking on the treadmill. Maybe try doing 50 mins on the elliptical.

How tall are you? And what is your current BMI?
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-03-2012 12:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hello I'm new here. Almost ready to get my surgery soon. In do excited and can't wait till I start getting off these unwanted pounds.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kylady1975's Avatar
    Name
    Tonya
    Surgery date
    11/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

I at one time was down to 178 im back up to 188. Im 5'6. I not sure bmi. My menu for a day. B-carbmaster yogurt, weight watchers smoked cheese, small Hanna. L- protein bar 5hoping wheat thin crackers a teaspoon of peanut butter. D- 3 oz smoked salmon tiny salad. Total around 800800 calories. Now I drink propel all day plus when working out I drink alot more. So where is my down fall? If I snack I eat maybe a half of Atkins indulge. Or another carb master yogurt.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tonya
    Surgery date
    11/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

My bmi is 30.3 just checked it. Errrrrras tomorrow my mind set is to starve to do nothing but protein drinks and water. Just want to scream. I've actually even gain partial inch in my waste. This crazy. I look at what all people is eating and losing like crazy. Im so jealous and disappointed.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Mr Audun Sigurdsson (CMCh, FRCS (Gen)
    Last Activity
    04-18-2016 01:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi

Every one is different on a gym day I now make sure I eat the extra calories I burn so as to maintain my weight. Typically a gym food diary includes. 3 protein shakes (phd pharma) a 0% yogurt, 2 x toast with honey or p/butter, chicken salad, a fish salad and a bowl of cereal. I also drink about 300ml of 0% milk coffee.

I maintain weight on this. My calorie intake on this day is nearly 2000. Which I never thought I could eat but after speaking to the nutritionalist found the shakes help. I also found by increasing my calories from 800 to around 1000-1200 daily on a non gym day I lost more weight.

Hope this helps

Gastric Sleeve Member ThinBlueSarge's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    07-07-2013 08:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Just make sure you're journaling everything you eat. It sounds to me like maybe you're taking in too few calories. I take in about 1100 to 1300 calories per day. If I find I am low for the day, I drink an extra protein shake, Muscle Milk, etc. My doctor told me that eating too few calories makes your body think it's starving, and then it will do everything it can to hang on to every calorie you eat.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

We are the same height and nearly the same weight, at 7 months out i was stuck and my weight didn't budge for months either. The weight loss naturally slows down at about 6 months out so what's happening to you is normal, you just have to work at it a bit more. I found going to three arobics classes a week have sorted me out, i do two of them one after another on the same evening. I gave up on the treadmill, burning 200 cals isn't anything compared to the 600 youcan lose from an hour in a high impact arobics class. I also stopped working on the weights, i didn't think about it at the time but my weight did strt moving again after i stopped going on the weights machines and concentrated on toning up in classes instead.
    I also upped my cals to above 800. By 7 months out you should be eating normal food, and shouldn't have to live on salads. Meat and lots of veg are good for you, salads although nice aren't very filling nor do they contain many cals which you need for your body to work and process your weightloss properly.
    Since December i've lost 14lbs and they've come off VERY slowly and even tho i've still got 7lbs to lose before i get to my target weight i'm a bag of bones, my excess skin is some of my weight so i'm not actually trying to lose weight anymore i'm trying to maintain it.
    You are in exactly the same position i was in in December, all it is is your body adjusting, it will still be adjusting for the next year, just go with the flow, don't compare yourself to others as that will just do your head in. Eat well, work out and don't worry and in a few months time the weightloss will slowly start again and you'll wonder wy you ever were worried.x

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with all above, and am also in the same situation. I dropped 100 lbs in 8 months and have only dropped 12 lbs in the last 4 1/2. I had an 8 wk stall in there as well.
    My only suggestion otherwise is to be sure your thyroid is functioning at optimum. If it hasn't been checked in the last 3 months ask for a full panel. You'll probably get a reg doc saying "it's fine"...well you want numbers because a good endo will say your TSH should be under 2 and preferably under 1 and your T3 on the high side to lose weight and function well.
    There are many millions of women who have subclinical hypothyroidism that isn't being treated.
    one other thought.... sometimes you can exercise too much...your body needs rest and sleep as much as it does exercise... I was actually losing better when I was exercising 3 days a week than now exercising every day...
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

My NUT told me not to focus on the calories because we don't want our body or mind to get stuck in a certain calories. Focus on getting the protein in in each meal. If there is room, then eat some fruit or vegs or starch.

Do you get 60 to 70g protein a day?

If I were you, I would up the intensity of the workout. Elliptical is good because it doesn't hurt the knees and burned about 500 or more calories in an hour. I would also not do so much weight training (maybe do it twice a week instead of everyday). When I did weight training and aerobic everyday before, I ended up with lots of muscle and didn't realize it because my weight was not going down even though I was eating very little and working out two hours a day. I am not doing that much weight this time around (only twice a week).

Does propel have calories?

It is normal that the weightloss slow down. Don't give up. Eat right, exercise, the weight will come off.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Surgery date
    12/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Earl Noyan
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

As per my dietician, and the doctor:

Keep the carbs at 60 grams per day
    Eat 60 - 80 grams of protein per day

It's the carbs..............track what you are eating for two weeks, write it down, check it in two weeks and see what happens.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tricia
    Surgery date
    12/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Macik
    Last Activity
    08-08-2012 01:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I'm in the same boat. I eat 800 cal a day. I exercise and tone 4-5 days a week. And NADA. I have lst 70lbs in 7 months. I go to the surgeon and he says" don't eat." I eat a protein shake for breakfast, fish or chicken for lunch and fish or chicken for dinner. All baked or grilled. I drink plenty of water and I don't know what else to do. I'm going to the nut on Friday. There is no way I can not lose weight in taking this few calories. Hang in there you are not the only one who isn't losing like you are supposed to be.

366lbs before surgery
    303lbs day of surgery

Name
    Tonya
    Surgery date
    11/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

Ok be patient with me hope I don't miss nothing. Yes I get my protein in. Propel has no calories. Its on my list I can drink. Grace I really want my thyroid checked. I have had it done once when I was a kid. Also I think about 5 years before this surgery. I have another question. How many carbs do you guys eat? I see you eat protein bars. Well mine have 2 net carbs but like 22 regular carbs. Another think I was taking predisone for almost 2 months. read last that it makes me gain. Also my arthritis medicine meloxicam says it could cause weightgain. So as of today want be taking that anymore. Well I might the arthritis medicine .o also I do log all my food in fitness pal.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sonnastine
    Last Activity
    08-02-2012 02:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

my first thought was your not eating enough. Your burning off a LOT. Your body has to have some calories to function. Im not a professional, its just what my thoughts were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast