Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Vitamin intake after gastric sleeve.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Billings - Puget Sound Bariatric Surgery
    Last Activity
    07-26-2012 10:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Vitamin intake after gastric sleeve.

I have found this great liquid vitamin product at Costco called Reviva, taste is not bad and has great amounts of what we all need.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sweetviolet's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr H Ahmad
    Last Activity
    10-18-2012 03:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

When i had my surgery, my doctor told me to take multivitamins each day as i will be needing them. He also asked me to take vitamin B12 few months after the surgery to counter the hair loss. I think I do need the multivitamins and other supplements as at the moment, I noticed that my hair easily falls off and i also noticed that my skin (face) has gone a bit dry. I try to eat as much protein as i can but i do suffer from dumping syndrome in the first few weeks of surgery. I still vomit now and then currently. Also, i noticed, I can't eat eggs anymore, even the smell of it makes me vomit, let alone eat them. And they're supposed to be a very good source of protein. I have read the postings of some members here and have taken notice of what they take and I plan to buy them as currently, i only take 1 multivitamins (and sometimes I forgot to take them) per day and with all this dumping syndrome, i think i'm malnourished..

Gastric Sleeve Member swarizonaone's Avatar
    Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    05-29-2014 12:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

multivitamins can NEVER hurt. hair loss is prevented, though, with ample amounts of protein. ISOPURE nonflavored seemed to me to be the best, because it looks like powdered sugar, has NO FLAVOR, AND can be sprinkled on every single thing that goes into your mouth. salads, soups, spaghetti, everything.... whallah! protein! B12 is for energy.

Isopure can be purchased and sent to your home, free shipping, from THE VITAMIN SHOPPE. online.
    good luck, keep pressing on. I couldn't do eggs for the first 2 months, I have no trouble now. milk still kicks my tail. Spicy does too. But I did have a haital hernia. (so it may have been that giving me trouble instead----------I'm a prior lapband malfunction patient)

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr H Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Hi swarizonaone, the first meal that the hospital gave me after the surgery, was eggs for breakfast. I had no troubles eating them then. Its just recently that i start throwing up when eating eggs, let it be boiled, poached, fried, omellette, scrambled. I just can't eat them anymore. Sometimes fish also give me the same problem. Also, i dont know why, but i suspect its due to the anaesthetics, ever since the surgery, my nose suddenly become very sensitive too.. Certain smell can make me vomit. Not only that, my tastebuds somehow 'changed' when i woke up from the surgery. I suddenly can't eat things that are too sweet, whereas prior to the surgery, i love anything sweet.

I have to see if Isopure is sold in the UK or not, if not, maybe i'll have to buy online. Thanks for the info and encouragement..

Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

I was in hospital for two days and my doc wouldn't even give me a shot glass of water until the end of the second day. I thought, man, I'm gonna gulp that... hahah.......never happened! It took me almost two weeks before I could even get 3 oz of chicken broth down.

but some smells nauseate me too now. And sweets...........just a turn for the stomach. Not interested.

good luck! keep me posted!!!!!!!!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr H Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

I went to the pharmacy yesterday and bought this lot: B-Complex, Silica Complex, Milk Thistle, Vitamin D, Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Spirulina, Biotin and Slippery Elm Plus. I've gone Vitamin crazy and i think all this lot should cover me, right..?

i didnt buy multivitamins because i already have them at home..

Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    05-14-2014 08:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 177 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times

Here is what I purchased at the VItamin Shoppe today, from a list provided by my surgeon: (brands are unimportant to the surgeon)

Solaray VIT C Chewable
    Bariatric Support Super B Complex liquid
    Chewable IRON with Vit. C
    Bariatric Support Chewable Multi w/Iron
    Biotin chewables
    B12 w/folic acid Drops
    Healthy Indulgence Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D3 & K

This was a whopping $104.00

I am to begin these on Tuesday which is my 2 week Post Op mark. I am recommended to take all of these for the first year following my Sleeve, then as blood tests dictate, I can proceed with only the Muli-vitamin and Calcium with Vitamin D daily. I figure that I will find better/other sources for these eventually and products I like better. I keep watching the forums for your suggestions on the best deals and favorites!

Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr H Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Hi Sonja.. i think its cheaper in the US to buy supplements.. I spent about 110 (USD 171) for all the things i bought and that doesnt include the multivitamins that i already have at home.. i suppose we spend less money on food but more on supplements from now on..

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 917 Times
    Was Thanked 1,262 Times in 992 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetviolet View Post
    Hi swarizonaone, the first meal that the hospital gave me after the surgery, was eggs for breakfast. I had no troubles eating them then. Its just recently that i start throwing up when eating eggs, let it be boiled, poached, fried, omellette, scrambled. I just can't eat them anymore. Sometimes fish also give me the same problem. Also, i dont know why, but i suspect its due to the anaesthetics, ever since the surgery, my nose suddenly become very sensitive too.. Certain smell can make me vomit. Not only that, my tastebuds somehow 'changed' when i woke up from the surgery. I suddenly can't eat things that are too sweet, whereas prior to the surgery, i love anything sweet.

I have to see if Isopure is sold in the UK or not, if not, maybe i'll have to buy online. Thanks for the info and encouragement..
    They gave you eggs right after surgery? Bizarre! I still can't get them down now, 9 months out!
    re: vitamins I'd go with the basics and when you have blood tests about 3 mo out you'll see if you need anything else....
    Note that my responses here are from the viewpoint of a female 3 yrs out from surgery, with post bariatric hypoglycemia. I am not a medical professional, my thoughts are based only on my experience and research. Lowest wt after surgery, 218 at 9 mo out.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Best NSV yet - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr H Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Hi Grace... oh nooooo...

no, the first meal they gave me was on the 4th day after surgery..
    just a little portion of 2 scrambled eggs.. i can only manage to eat almost half of it.. my doctor said, eating protein also can heal the internal wounds faster.. thats why they gave me my first meal 4 days after the surgery.. i started suffering from gas/wind on the second day they gave me food. I already have wind problems before surgery, had i known that they're going to put in some gas in my body, i would've probably changed my mind.. I still have wind problem as it is.. each time i eat or drink, i start burping.. it is not so painful, just irritating.. my doctor said, the wind/gas should disappear 2 months after surgery, but what i find is that, it is not totally gone, but reduced compared to few weeks ago when i started burping.. And one thing i noticed, the weather also plays a role.. if its cold, i burp more.. lol

I have a funny story to tell.. at the hospital where i did the surgery, they put me into an ICU room immediately after surgery for a one day observation. so, on the second day of surgery, they release me back into my ward room. I was like watching tv when the food attendant came in my room and brought a tray of food which consists of a bowl of clear chicken soup, a plate of steamed rice and a small plate of roasted chicken. He put the tray in front of me. I just sat there looking at the food.. I was thinking, wow! this is rather quick! About 20 mins later, i tried to eat it.. haha.. i dont know what made me think the food was mine.. i tried a spoonful each of soup, rice & chicken, but couldnt eat more because i don't seem to have the appetite for it.. few minutes later, a nurse came into my room to check on me and she almost shrieked when she saw the food in front of me.. She said, "you can't eat this.. this is not for you.." lol

The food was actually for the person/family who's looking after me.. i think i was still dazed (from the op) when they brought the food to make me think the food was actually for me..

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Mrs_Willoughby
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    08-26-2013 07:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Kristen, Isopure may be purchased much cheaper online. In December I bought a 7.5lb tub for $75 from LP supplements. The last time I looked they were up to $88, but you could probably find a discount code or sale.

Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times

SweetViolet..Wow! That's alot of money. My son reminded me that what I am saving on food will make up for the vitamins. That helped ease the pain a little.

Grace...That is a good suggestion. I may not restock on some of these after they are gone until I have my blood tested again. Thanks!

Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr H Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Quote Originally Posted by xxtac66 View Post
    SweetViolet..Wow! That's alot of money. My son reminded me that what I am saving on food will make up for the vitamins. That helped ease the pain a little.

Grace...That is a good suggestion. I may not restock on some of these after they are gone until I have my blood tested again. Thanks!

xxtac66, yeah i know.. they cost such a bomb.. luckily i bought the biggest bottle ie 100 tablets so i'll need to replenish them every few months.. i'm pretty satisfied with my purchase becos i think i can see the difference in my skin now.. its not soo dry as before..
    xxtac66 likes this.

Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times

Well, we are all new at this and we all have different needs. I'm happy to hear that you can see a difference. We need to keep ourselves at optimum health both internally and externally. I am hoping by doing so, I will avoid the worst scenario of sagging skin.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=sweetviolet;150142]Hi Grace... oh nooooo...

no, the first meal they gave me was on the 4th day after surgery..
    just a little portion of 2 scrambled eggs.. i can only manage to eat almost half of it.. my doctor said, eating protein also can heal the internal wounds faster.. thats why they gave me my first meal 4 days after the surgery.. i started suffering from gas/wind on the second day they gave me food. I already have wind problems before surgery, had i known that they're going to put in some gas in my body, i would've probably changed my mind.. I still have wind problem as it is.. each time i eat or drink, i start burping.. it is not so painful, just irritating.. my doctor said, the wind/gas should disappear 2 months after surgery, but what i find is that, it is not totally gone, but reduced compared to few weeks ago when i started burping.. And one thing i noticed, the weather also plays a role.. if its cold, i burp more.. lol

RE: burping/wind/gas.......................I have found that gas-x meltaways did the best at reducing that in the early stages of my recovery. Later I went to the gas-x gel pills..............but now I'm at 6 months out, and I have no trouble with any/all of that. I'm down to 160 and I can eat just about anything, small bites for sure, I do burp if I drink pop, but even lately I don't want that so much, and even the gas is subsiding. Be patient, in a few months all of that will pretty much go away, I think!
    Amanda K likes this.

22. Said thanks:

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast